In 1989, Burger King re-launched its children's meal program as the Burger King Kids Club meal in the US and in New Zealand. The Burger King Kids Club Gang, a multi-ethnic group of fictional characters, were created to promote the Burger King Kids Club meal by providing a group of stylized characters. The members of the gang were:
- Kid Vid, (AKA Ryan Mcfarland), a blond Caucasian boy who loved video games and technology; he was the leader of the group.
- Boomer, a sports loving Caucasian tomboy with red hair tied into a ponytail.
- I.Q., a male Caucasian nerd with red hair and freckles who wore red glasses, a green lab coat, and a pocket protector.
- Jaws, a tall African-American boy with an insatiable appetite.
- J.D., a dog and the group's mascot.
- Lingo, a multi-lingual, Hispanic boy who liked art and carried an easel.
- Snaps, a blonde Caucasian girl who always carried her camera.
- Wheels, a Caucasian paraplegic boy in a wheelchair, with brown hair, blue eyes and freckles.
In the early 2000s a new female character was added to the group:
- Jazz, an Asian girl who loved music and wore a beret.
In their birthday month, Burger King "Kids Club" members receive an annual mailing that contains games, product information, and a coupon for a free Kids' Meal. Although the BK Kids' Club Gang promotion has been discontinued in the US, the club continues to operate and is the largest club of its kind in North America.The characters can still be seen on playground signs and decorations in some locations.